Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Albright Knox Review

Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
            First, Gauguin’s “The Yellow Christ”. I am a firm believer in Christ and seeing the portrayal of his death with, what it looks like Pilgram women, is odd to me. And not exactly understanding what’s going on in the background, who’s escaping and why? Second, Monet’s “Towpath at Argenteuil”, the way he paint’s, I just want to be there the cool colors and serene setting. Modigliani’s “Jeune-bonne”. When I saw this I couldn’t help but stare into her eyes, or lack thereof. Dali’s “The Transparent Simulacrum of the Feigned Image” to me is before it’s time. The quality of his images are almost equivalent to our HD, and the almost hidden woman’s eye in the corner. You see a Dali and you just want to pick his brain and figure out why his paintings are so odd. Matthew Barney’s work has a very big impact/impression on me. Especially the video he has playing. It’s just to intriguing to be in a world that he’s created that is so weird.

Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
            Whenever I go to the Albright I spend a lot of time looking at the Clyfford Still. I love abstract expressionism. This is pretty much the only piece that I really feel a connection with. I can spend a lot of time looking and analyzing a piece of work, breaking down the subject matter and brushstrokes, but with any abstract expressionism piece I just sit there and lose myself in it.

Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
            I’d like to know more about the small room of pop-art they have. I just don’t understand pop-art. That and the Dali and Tanguy, there’s a lot of subject matter but no real visual point or meaning. Also the Soutine, I’ve heard a lot about the meaning of the painting, but I just don’t understand how the subject matter relates to what I’ve heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment